Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes

I love this recipe! It's easy and quick...I can eat it almost immdiately...I can eat it straight out of the fridge.  I can also reheat and eat it again...though it may not have that candy like chewy outside like when you first cook it but your tummy won't know the difference! I hope you like this as much as we do!

Ingredients

  • 2 pounds sweet potatoes (I just buy the bag from Trader Joe's)
  • 1/4 cup olive or other oil (4 Tbsp)
  • 1 Tbsp salt
  • 1-2 Tbsp spice (I used Mrs. Dash) or spice combination of your choice.

Method

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Peel the sweet potatoes and cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and then half again. Cut each into 1 inch quarter cuts. If some pieces are smaller, leave them as halves.

Put the sweet potatoes into a large bowl and add the oil. Mix well to combine. Sprinkle with salt and spices of your choice. Use your hands to mix well, so all pieces are coated with oil and spices.

Spread the sweet potatoes out in a single layer on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper; even though oil should keep them from sticking to the pan, it's just easy cleanup.  Good tip by another blogger: If you are trying to cut fat, reduce the oil to 2 Tbsp and use a non-stick coating on the baking sheet.

 Bake for a total of 30 to 35 minutes at 450°F.  Take it out and turn the oven up to 500°F.  Then cook for another 10 to 15 minutes.

I do this double cook process because at 450°F it is still tender and the outside is still a little soft but semi carmelized.  When you return it to the oven at 500°F (be sure not to pick at it while you wait.  Big Wong likes to eat them before they go back and I usually have a huge hole!) it will caramelize the outside.  It will be nice and chewy with a soft center without risking a burn if you were too just cook it at 500°F the entire time of 30 to 35 minutes.

 Some say to cook halfway and take them out of the oven and turn them...I honestly don't have time for that when I have other thing cooking or kids to feed.  Hahah truth be told, I am just too lazy and busy to take it out and turn every single one of the.  For fried foods, def...cause of the oil as it sits on the pan...Like Parmesan Chicken!

 
See above...was my first attempt at 500°F for 35 minutes. See the dark edges...and the inside was almost dried out.

This beauty is cooking it in two different temps. 450°F for 30 to 35 minutes. Then 500°F for 10 to 15 minutes. 
Enjoy! XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment